Friday, April 6, 2018

Butterfly Parenting


     My oldest child (one of my 2 nieces that we're raising) was having a really rough morning. She is six but has the emotional control (and temper tantrums) of a 2 year old. After she had calmed down, and we were sitting on the patio together, I saw a butterfly. It reminded me that I had seen this on Facebook today and liked it, so I told her about it. I told her that right now, she is a caterpillar in a cocoon. She is going through her dark period and will one day become a butterfly and spread light and love all over the world.
     She loved this. She loved this so much, in fact, that she has been addressing me as butterfly mommy all day. So that's where the title of this blog comes from. And if anyone else is raising someone else's children who struggle with resultant developmental trauma, they are butterfly parents as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment